chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] Distributed egg repo proposal

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] Distributed egg repo proposal
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 11:08:10 +0100

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:02:17AM +0000, Imran Rafique wrote:
> On 18 March 2011 09:20, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 09:00:20AM +0000, Imran Rafique wrote:
> >> Dynamite is popular, and gets repeatedly forked on github.
> >
> > Forking's bad, mmmkay?
>
> Are you lecturing me, or the denizens of github?

It's long been general wisdom that forking should be avoided at all
costs, not because of technical reasons but because of social reasons.

So yes, I think the way github's promotes rampant forking is bad.
See also http://sheddingbikes.com/posts/1299555462.html  and
http://producingoss.com/en/forks.html

If a fork is made that's okay, but *only* as long as that fork is
short-lived and integrated back into the mainline tree.  And in the
long run that means you probably want to wait for that event before
starting to use that code, generally.  If not, you will only have
to use the "forked" repo temporarily.

Cheers,
Peter
--