chicken-janitors

[Chicken-janitors] #1045: [panic] out of memory - heap full while resizi

From: Chicken Trac
Subject: [Chicken-janitors] #1045: [panic] out of memory - heap full while resizing - execution terminated (awful-picman)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 00:52:43 -0000

#1045: [panic] out of memory - heap full while resizing - execution terminated
(awful-picman)
----------------------------------------------------------+-----------------
 Reporter:  mario                                         |       Owner:

     Type:  defect                                        |      Status:  new

Component:  unknown                                       |     Version:  4.8.x

 I frequently get out {{{[panic] out of memory - heap full while resizing -
 execution terminated}}} errors when running [https://github.com/mario-
 goulart/awful-picman awful-picman] (a pictures manager).

 I don't have a simple test case, and I can't deterministically reproduce
 the problem, but it' not very difficult to trigger it.

 Here are the steps to install awful-picman, run it and set up a test case:

 {{{
 git clone https://github.com/mario-goulart/awful-picman.git
 cd awful-picman
 git checkout 45a0a1e5f7245b0ea17b163746362aca87e77d95
 chicken-install
 mkdir -p test/pics
 cd test/pics
 wget http://parenteses.org/mario/misc/DSC00065.jpg
 for i in `seq 100`; do cp DSC00065.jpg $i.jpg; done
 cd ..
 awful-picman --init
 }}}

 ({{{--init}}} is only necessary for the first run.)

 Then use you browser to request http://localhost:8080/folders/pics .  Keep
 reloading that page.  After a couple of requests awful-picman will crash
 with {{{[panic] out of memory - heap full while resizing - execution
 terminated}}}.

 Sometimes it crashes when the heap is growing, sometimes when the heap is
 shrinking.  The call trace is usually different among crashes.

 I can reproduce this problem with CHICKENs 4.7.0, 4.8.0, 4.8.0.3 and the
 4.8.2 dev-snapshot tarball (Linux x86-64).

 It crashes more frequently with 4.7.0 (usually on the first request).

--
Ticket URL: <http://bugs.call-cc.org/ticket/1045>
Chicken Scheme <http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/>