chicken-janitors

Re: [Chicken-janitors] #1045: [panic] out of memory - heap full while re

From: Chicken Trac
Subject: Re: [Chicken-janitors] #1045: [panic] out of memory - heap full while resizing - execution terminated (awful-picman)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 19:20:48 -0000

#1045: [panic] out of memory - heap full while resizing - execution terminated
(awful-picman)
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
  Reporter:  mario    |       Owner:

      Type:  defect   |      Status:  new

 Component:  unknown  |     Version:  4.8.x

Resolution:           |    Keywords:  awful-picman, out of memory error, heap
full
----------------------+-----------------------------------------------------

Comment(by sjamaan):

 While debugging YET ANOTHER problem (the one on Alaric's server causing a
 corrupted henrietta cache), I stumbled upon a weird error which may
 provide the clue for this one:

 I used some code to fetch a HTTP resource in a loop, and because I wanted
 to cause it to behave badly, I tried random things like interrupting it
 with ^Z and resuming it.  During one of these attempts, after typing "fg",
 I got the following unexplained error:

 {{{
 181
 182
 183
 184
 185
 186
 187
 ^Z
 zsh: suspended  csi -s test.scm
 address@hidden fg
 [1]  + continued  csi -s test.scm
 188
 Error: Unknown protocol: "1"

         Call history:

         http-client.scm:164: close-input-port
         http-client.scm:165: close-output-port
         http-client.scm:166: connections
         http-client.scm:166: hash-table-delete!
         http-client.scm:121: open-output-string
         http-client.scm:121: uri-common#uri-host
         http-client.scm:121: write
         write-char/port
         http-client.scm:121: uri-common#uri-port
         http-client.scm:121: write
         http-client.scm:121: get-output-string
         http-client.scm:117: uri-common#uri-port
         http-client.scm:117: uri-common#uri-port
         http-client.scm:118: uri-common#uri-host
         http-client.scm:118: uri-common#uri-host
         http-client.scm:566: raise              <--
 }}}

 The program itself doesn't contain bugs related to the URI construction
 (the URI is a hardcoded string constant), and is as follows:

 {{{
 #!scm
 (use http-client extras)

 (do ((i 0 (add1 i)))
     ((> i 1000))
   (with-output-to-file (->string i)
     (lambda ()
       (fprintf (current-error-port) "~A~%" i) ; Show progress
       (pp (with-input-from-request
           "http://code.call-cc.org/release-info?egg=netstring";
           #f
           read-file)))))
 }}}

 This leads me to believe that possibly the error may somehow be  related
 to signal handling. Earlier, I had noticed that both Ugarit and Awful-
 picman spawn children, so they'll be receiving SIGCHLD a lot.

--
Ticket URL: <http://bugs.call-cc.org/ticket/1045#comment:4>
Chicken Scheme <http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org/>