Re: [Chicken-users] Debian bugs

From: felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Debian bugs
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 13:37:03 +0200

> Shame they are using 0.990 though - I am using 0.1064 on all three
> architectures.

I will ship a new release RSN. But out phone line is down, so I can't
respond at the usual pace (Sorry).

> #150901 - -ffunction-sections on HPPA
>
> Well, I've been building "okay" - in that the compiles and links work
> - without it. This might be because I'm using HP ld rather than GNU
> ld... but that's purely hypothetical (I don't know if the bug reporter
> is using GNU ld or not). "-ffunction-sections" doesn't look like it's
> anything to do with correctness-of-code, so it's unlikely to be
> causing my SEGVs and bus errors.

The GCC docs also say that it increases code-size and decreases speed.

> #142021 - fails miserably on ia64
>
> It's crashing at the same command as HPPA is - "./chicken csi.scm ..."
> - but it's almost certainly crashing at a completely different
> place. There are problems here with sizeof(pointer) != sizeof(integer)
> I suppose...

Panagiotis Vossos reported clean builds on Alpha. This needed a change
in the C-backend. I have added a test for __ia64__ in `chicken.h',
so I see no reason why it shouldn't work (of course there can be tons
of reasons... ;-)

cheers