Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken benchmarks

From: Sven Hartrumpf
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken benchmarks
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 12:11:28 +0200 (CEST)

On 18 Sep 2002, Felix <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Chicken looks like it does pretty well by these measures.  How does it
> > stack up
> > against Bigloo?
>
> Not so good, I'm afraid.

Felix is always so modest. From my experience with medium-sized, real-world
programs Bigloo can be faster by a factor of 2 or 3. BUT: bigloo can also be
slower for some applications.

If someone is interested in more details and has bigloo 2.5b installed,
s/he could try to add chicken support to bglstone (If you need assistance
in setting up the basic bglstone, mail me directly.):
ftp://ftp-sop.inria.fr/mimosa/fp/Bigloo/apps/

Talking about performance I would like to ask some questions about 32 bit
vs. 64 bit:
- What improvement is to be expected from chicken compiled for a 64 bit
  architecture (compared to the same system run in 32 bit mode)?
- Which 64 bit ports are known to work?
- Any experiences with the Sun Ultra architecture
  (running a 64 bit kernel for Linux or Solaris)?

Ciao
Sven