Re: [Chicken-users] serialization of functions, closures, continuations

From: Michele Simionato
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] serialization of functions, closures, continuations
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 03:53:41 -0400

On 5/18/05, Chris Double <address@hidden> wrote:

> You just need to aggresively expire the continuations. In other
> frameworks I've developed I stored the continuations in memory rather
> than serializing as it is much faster. It limits the users ability to
> bookmark as the continuations aren't long lived but in practice it works
> fine. It does require tuning to get the tradeoff between memory and
> expiration time though.

First of all, I thank you for your excellent articles on the modal web server
(and I am still waiting for the next one in the series ;).

The problem with bookmarks is annoying. May be the browser should show
(and make bookmarkable) something like

http://mydomain/myapplication/do_this

pointing at the beginning of the computation instead of

http://mydomain/myapplication/do_this@,42

which points at step 42 in the computation and cannot be reached
once the session has expired and the continuation has been garbage
collected. Looks more like a browser problem than a server issue.

             Michele Simionato