Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken/egg version mismatch

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Chicken/egg version mismatch
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:46:22 +0200

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 12:17:29PM +0200, felix winkelmann wrote:
> I propose keeping ar archive of old eggs, served via http. Since you can
> fetch eggs directly via an HTTP url with chicken-setup, one can retrieve
> and install the desired version. Finding out which version is needed for
> your particular chicken-installation is the hard part... but this can be
> handled
> by mentioning the required chicken version in the egg-documentation.

Sounds like a good enough solution, at least on the short term.

> The automatic retrieval simply fetches the newest eggs, and this should
> stay that way.

Why is that so?  The .setup file could easily be extended to include a
directive that mentions the required version of its dependencies.
It could also use a Chicken version, probably.

If people break compatibility with previous versions of the egg or Chicken,
the egg's major version should be bumped.  Same goes for Chicken.  If the
API is backwards-incompatible with the previous, its major version should
be bumped.  If this is strictly enforced, this might be a solution to
the problem.

Maybe someone else on the list has some ideas on how we could solve this
problem?

> There has been a lot of trouble recently, mainly due to
> fundamental changes in the base system (and carelessness on my side).
> I hope to slow down the development of new features for Chicken,
> concentrating on bug-fixes, and performance- and stability enhancements.
> The eggs will be put into a subversion repository real soon now, to make
> it easier to submit patches and also to access older versions.

That would probably take a big part of the problem away automatically.

> > Also: What happened to update-egg?  I found out that there have been some
> > changes to Chicken's infrastructure, especially to the highlevel macro
> > system.  For this, I needed to update an egg of mine, but I couldn't submit
> > it using update-egg.
>
> I was unable to keep track of new eggs, so please send any changes to me.
> Once we have the subversion repository and the needed infrastructure in place
> (automatic update of the main egg-site at call/cc.org), things should be
> much simpler.

OK, will do.

Regards,
Peter