Re: [Chicken-users] Standard APIs for databases, Web-apps

From: Peter Keller
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Standard APIs for databases, Web-apps
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:38:40 -0600

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 04:18:36PM -0800, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> BTW I did float the idea of a standard OpenGL 2.0 binding for all
> Schemes on comp.lang.scheme.  Crickets chirped.  Nobody cares, nobody's
> doing 3D with Scheme.  I'm on the frontier.  Well, ok, OpenSceneGraph
> has got a Scheme binding, so there isn't *zero* 3D done in Scheme.  But
> really, there are very, very few projects that do any 3D.  Maybe you
> fare better in databaseland, I dunno.  It's just that, this apathy
> really hit home how fragmented the Scheme universe is.

Maybe some of us should write a pretty fun game using an opengl 2.0
binding for chicken (along with the SDL_* API if it isn't already
done). Make it hackable with lots of small but interesting things in the
codebase (like higher order functions for AI, etc, etc, etc that people
can drop in). Give people a reason to want to use and hack Chicken for 3D.

In short, I've noticed a lot of people like to write scheme interpreters,
compilers, and internal bits like C bindings to other languages, but
not many write true applications. :) <- I'm not causing trouble with that
statement! Well, not much trouble at any rate....

-pete