Re: OT: Re: [Chicken-users] rails-like framework

From: Thomas Chust
Subject: Re: OT: Re: [Chicken-users] rails-like framework
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:54:09 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Shawn Rutledge wrote:

[...] Kali seems to be one of the most complete distributed Schemes (even continuations can travel from one machine to another, and be executed there) so doesn't that imply that it has a portable bytecode and portable data structures? [...]

Hello,

as far as I know, the Scheme48 bytecode is portable across architectures, yes.

But concerning the serialization especially of continuations in Kali: Scheme48 is stack-based. Though, to reduce network load, Kali does not transmit the entire stack for a continuation, but only the first few frames. The rest is pulled if really needed via a mechanism pretty similar to RScheme's persitent object store system, just via network. And I never know whether I should consider this kind of page fault magic ingenious or horrible. Especially in a network environment where additional complicating factors like node failure resistance have to be considered...

cu,
Thomas