Re: [Chicken-users] SQLite and opengl eggs don't compile "out of the box

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] SQLite and opengl eggs don't compile "out of the box" with latest release
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 01:08:15 +0200

On 6/10/06, Kon Lovett <address@hidden> wrote:

Chicken is undergoing fairly rapid development, a good thing. It is
also obsoleting the existing distributions scattered around, a bad
thing. While some eggs are backward compatible, some are not, and
some don't use the new features at all. (This is a small problem as
the check-imports feature can help find serious bugs.)

I'm aware that currently the situation is somewhat chaotic, and I
apologize if that causes problems, but if we ever want to get
things into a stable state, we have to do any overhauls better
now than later. The fast (and sometimes furious) development speed
has indeed good and bad effects, but I'd rather push everybody towards
using the latest development version of chicken and quickly respond
to problem reports than sitting on a big heap of never-changing and
slowly bitrotting code. Things will break sometimes, which simply
happens when you have a large code base.

I hope we get soon to the point where chicken 2.4 will be released
and from then on I plan not to add any new features and concentrate
on infrastructure, documentation and bug fixes.

(felix)