Re: [Chicken-users] s11n among different chicken versions

From: Zbigniew
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] s11n among different chicken versions
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:50:05 -0500

Daishi,

A while ago we had a discussion on how portable s11n is, and how
portable it should strive to be.  Felix gave a technical explanation
of the implementation here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/chicken-users/2005-11/msg00105.html.
The eggdoc also mentions that serialized data is endian- and
word-size-dependent, and when procedures/continuations are serialized
this dependency extends to identical binaries.  The egg is not
intended to be terribly robust as S-exprs are (sometimes) a good
alternative.

I believe if you do not serialize procedures or continuations, it
should deserialize across Chicken versions, but I have not tried.

As an aside, I -think- endianness is not a factor any more, I had
provided a simple patch which removed this limitation.  This was only
to make testing easier for me on a heterogeneous network.  Further
robustness was deemed outside the scope of the egg.

I hope this helps.