[Chicken-users] Cygwin via CMake: it works!

From: John Cowan
Subject: [Chicken-users] Cygwin via CMake: it works!
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:32:28 -0400

Brandon J. Van Every scripsit:

> I don't know if "wholly unnatural" ways, such as manually renaming the
> libraries outside of the CMake build system, is prudent.  Sounds like a
> good way to break stuff.

Now why didn't I think of that?  Musta been too sleep-deprived....

/me does "cmake; make; make install" and runs the following script:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/lib
mv -f libchicken-0.dll.a libchicken.dll.a
mv -f libuchicken-0.dll.a libuchicken.dll.a
mv -f libchicken-static.a libchicken.a
mv -f libuchicken-static.a libuchicken.a

YEE-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

It works!

I tried the old "x.scm" drill, then compiled x.scm with -static-libs
and again with -static.  Works, works, works, works!

It doesn't break anything.  Leave out any part of it and some things
do break.

Just package this script with the build and have Cygwin users run it.
(Or something better, if you can figure out how; but the point is,
this *works*.)

> Can the -0 be gotten rid of in ./configure?  It's not exactly a great
> version number anyways.

Obviously all this is an underdocumented part of Cygwin, but:

1) autotools does the right thing
2) between us we now do what autotools does
3) it works!

Hard to argue with success.

--
John Cowan  address@hidden   http://ccil.org/~cowan
It's the old, old story.  Droid meets droid.  Droid becomes chameleon.