RE: [Chicken-users] How easy is it to use Chicken in Windows XP

From: Ian Oversby
Subject: RE: [Chicken-users] How easy is it to use Chicken in Windows XP
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:06:06 +0000

After struggling horribly, trying (and failing) to get ECL running in Windows I am really
looking for a better experience.

I tend to use "pure" Windows XP and free C/C++ tools so either GNU gcc is
fine or MS Visual C++ 2005. Note that I don't have access to MSVC the
commercial version. Is it possible to install and build a good working
version of Chicken on Windows XP:

6. YES Easily!!

Please let me know in detail how I go about this as I am not an expert in any of the above 1-5.

(prays for 6 or 7 .......)

Answer == 6 --> It is relatively easy when you know how. You need the following tools:

Darcs   http://abridgegame.org/darcs
Chicken 2.3 binary (2.41 may work too??)
Win32 binary    http://www.call-with-current-continuation.org
Latest chicken from darcs repository $ darcs get http://galinha.ucpel.tche.br/chicken
MinGW + MSYS    http://www.mingw.org
CMake 2.4.3

Alternatively, I have a tarball of build 2 // 425 that was built with MinGW + MSYS that you can have. Then all you need is to untar it in a suitable place, set CHICKEN_HOME to point to the chicken bin directory and add the same directory to your path and it should work fine.

Ian