[Chicken-users] a file system using Chicken

From: Dan Muresan
Subject: [Chicken-users] a file system using Chicken
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 22:05:21 +0300

Hi folks,

I've released DuggFS, a file system based on Fuse and implemented in Chicken Scheme.

http://www.omnigia.com/scheme/duggfs/

It lets you view Digg content as a filesystem:

$ ls /tmp/duggfs
config  stories  users
$ cd /tmp/duggfs/stories/topics/programming/popular
$ ls
A_Computer_Science_Degree_Doesn_t_Hurt_Much
Let_s_Build_a_Grid_Webdesign
LifeHacker_How_to_build_a_Firefox_extension
The_Google_Maps_Street_View_Team_Pic
# ...
$ cat A_Computer_Science_Degree_Doesn_t_Hurt_Much/diggs
1286

You may or may not find this useful (or amusing), but there's some good code in there in case you ever want to implement your own file system in Scheme. I find it pretty cool that using Chicken's cooperative threads and TCP unit, you can handle multiple file system requests in parallel, in case the file system sees, uh, heavy usage.

Thanks go to Felix and the helpfull Chicken community.

See the web page for more details, and feel free to ask questions.

Cheers,
Dan