Re: [Chicken-users] a file system using Chicken

From: Ivan Raikov
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] a file system using Chicken
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:48:47 +0900

  Ah, the infamous Askemos. I am aware of it, of course, and it is a
very impressive work. If I ever get to work on a similar project, I
will probably borrow many ideas from Askemos (if not use it
wholesale), but I am specifically interested in using advanced
programming language techniques (like PCC) which allow certain
guarantees about the program logic to be embedded in the type system
or through annotations. And I wasn't going to start entirely from
scratch -- as part of my master's degree project, I implemented a
special-purpose compiler based on Greg Morrissett's Typed Assembly
Language (TAL), and the whole thing turned out to be fairly general,
so I want to port it to Scheme at some point. The original TAL idea
revolves around generating type-safe assembly code, given a System F
program as input, but the type system can be extended to make other
types of guarantees. So basically, I want to have a solid
statically-typed programming language foundation before I work on a
fancy high-level filesystem. Thank you for the detailed overview of
Askemos, though.

  -Ivan