Re: [Chicken-users] Installing as non-root fails with Chicken 2.732

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Installing as non-root fails with Chicken 2.732
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:55:32 +0700

 > Hello,

 > I tried to install chicken to my home directory: make PLATFORM=linux
 > PREFIX=/home/tero/chicken install

 > Seems that the installation script assumes locations that require
 > root/sudo:

 > install -m644 chicken.info /home/tero/chicken/share/info
 > install-info  --infodir=/home/tero/chicken/share/info chicken.info
 > * Chicken: (chicken.info). A compiler that translates Scheme source
 > files into
 >  C.
 > install-info(chicken.info): no file /home/tero/chicken/share/info/dir,
 > retrieving backup file /var/backups/infodir.bak.
 > cp: cannot create regular file `/var/backups/infodir.bak': Permission denied
 > install-info(chicken.info): could not backup
 > /home/tero/chicken/share/info/dir in /var/backups/infodir.bak: No such
 > file or directory

        Looks like install-info(8) attempts to retrieve Info directory
        (.../info/dir) file below your "$HOME" from a system-wide
        /var/backups location.  It's an error in install-info, it
        certainly shouldn't use system-wide /var/backups when dealing
        with users' own files.

        What GNU/Linux distribution are you using?  I advise you to
        report a problem to the developers (refer to, e. g., [1], if
        you're using Debian GNU/Linux.)

 > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tero/Desktop/chicken-2.732'

        Since the error was ignored by Make, and the installation was
        otherwise successful, you may proceed with it.  The only thing
        that wasn't done is the update (or, rather, creation) of the
        Info directory below your "$HOME".  It's hardly a problem,
        because most of the time you'll be using the system-wide Info
        directory in /usr/share/info/dir (most probably.)

        You can read the Chicken info file installed with either:

$ info -f /home/tero/chicken/share/info/chicken.info

        from shell, or:

C-u M-x info /home/tero/chicken/share/info/chicken.info RET

        within Emacs.

[1] http://www.debian.org/Bugs/