Re: [Chicken-users] Cocoa Bridge and Chicken gui repl

From: Jacques Vidrine
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Cocoa Bridge and Chicken gui repl
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 07:22:43 -0800

On Dec 3, 2007, at 6:37 AM, Thomas Christian Chust wrote:
Glen Foy schrieb:

[...] The only problem is that Grace/Juce is a Carbon application,
and Carbon is probably on the way out.  Apple is ruthless when it
comes to orphaning old technologies. [...]

Hello,

I would deem it highly unlikely that the Carbon API will be deprecated
any time soon:

It is already deprecated. This was made especially clear at this year's WWDC where it was announced that 64-bit Carbon applications will not be supported.

Cocoa is basically just an Objective-C  wrapper around
Carbon

Actually, most Cocoa UI is independent of Carbon.

it would probably
be a strategic mistake for Apple to kick the backend of widely used
toolkits like Qt+ and the upcoming native Gtk+ port out of MacOS X

Trolltech has already announced that "Over time, we will gradually transition Qt to also use Cocoa for 64-bit applications".

A lot of good information about the future of Carbon can be found on this wiki:

http://www.carbondev.com/site/?page=64-bit+Carbon

Jacques