Re: [Chicken-users] New immediate values (was: DBI)

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] New immediate values (was: DBI)
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:56:39 -0500

felix winkelmann scripsit:

> >  No, we realize that just as we need only one empty list (unlike Java, where
> >  any list can have zero elements without losing its identity), we need only
> >  one object that has:
> >
> >         a unique identity, disjoint from all other objects
> >         a unique type, disjoint from all other types
> >         no information inside it
> >

> Why do we need this? I can't remember right now...

To represent the null object of foreign environments that do not conflate
null with the empty sequence -- not only SQL but also Lua, Java (and
other JVM languages), .NET, and others.

While this is an additional immediate object, it's only *one* additional
immediate object.  I support it.

--
Said Agatha Christie / To E. Philips Oppenheim  John Cowan
"Who is this Hemingway? / Who is this Proust?   address@hidden