Re: [Chicken-users] compiling with svn revision 12496

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] compiling with svn revision 12496
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:04:18 +0100

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Jörg F. Wittenberger
<address@hidden> wrote:

> There's code, which maps "symbol-append"+"string-append" over input
> forms to ease typing.  (The openssl.scm - not even my code.)  I have no
> idea how to fix that with hygienic macros.  And nothing of the trick is
> supposed to be visible after compilation.  Hence chicken should litter
> an .import.scm with those internals up to breaking compilation
> altogether.

Then the code nees to be fixed. Currently, all syntax-definitions
must be included in the import library, in case an exported macro
refers to any of the internal syntax definitions (I checked in something
today, to omit this list at least when no syntax is exported).

The hygienic macro system introduces a new concept into macro-
writing: that a symbol doesn't necessarily always have the same syntactic
meaning. This will make it harder to hack around hygiene, but that
is a good thing. Moreover, the whole macro system is still heavily
under construction and I'm slow in making progress.