Re: [Chicken-users] A call to arms

From: F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] A call to arms
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 22:02:55 +0100

Am Donnerstag, den 22.01.2009, 20:06 +0100 schrieb Peter Bex:

> > Better still, we could come up with a Scheme equivalent of Apache
> > Cocoon's pipelines, where you define regexp matchers on incoming URLs
> > and assign 'pipelines' to them.  A Cocoon pipeline is a chain that
> > starts with one or more 'generators' (a component that generates a
> > flow of data in a common, abstract format), passing through zero or
> > more 'transformers' (components that alter the data flow in arbitrary
> > ways) and ending in a 'serializer'.  Cocoon uses the SAX API as the
> > abstract data format, but we of course could use the List.
>
> Ah, now we're getting somewhere. I've given this a lot of thought,
> and I think the "pipeline" would consist of individual sxml
> pre-post-order transformer rule components.
> So you define a number of processing steps through which the abstract
> sxml is transformed to a concrete HTML (or anything else) output.  In
> between any two steps any module can insert its own ruleset, or
> prepend their ruleset to an existing ruleset so that during the
> conversion it can "break in" to the transformation. If that ruleset
> overrides all the rules in the ruleset it is appended to, it
> effectively overwrites it.

Hey, Peter.  You must already have made it quite into our source code or
really understood the website (which is sort of hard, I agree and bear
with you).

BTW: regarding SQL
http://www.askemos.org/A67bb0753e1676f81983e0ecf3a15b391/XSQLExample.html
(and http://www.askemos.org/index.html/XSQL )
is what we have currently.

> I haven't been able to experiment with this yet because I'm still in the
> process of writing the new Spiffy (which will supply fully parsed
> headers, another thing I think will make web development much nicer;

Not sure.  It might be much more efficient to lazy evaluate the parse
cache the unparsed headers.  Profiling data tought me, that we spend a
lot of calls and thus time in formatting dates.  Much more than in
parsing.  To me this looks as if most access to the request data is
identical for representation in the input form.

/Jörg