Re: [Chicken-users] SQLite3 bindings for CHICKEN 4

From: Thomas Chust
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] SQLite3 bindings for CHICKEN 4
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 13:36:55 +0200

2009/8/5 Peter Bex <address@hidden>:
> [...]
> You haven't seen zbigniew's sql-de-lite egg yet?  It's another sqlite egg
> with (IMHO) a more Schemely API.
> [...]

Hello,

of course I have seen it, but several people requested my SQLite3
binding to be ported to CHICKEN 4 anyway.

The APIs of the two bindings don't differ too much in my opinion, but
it can't hurt to have a choice. Could you elaborate which parts of the
sql-de-lite API seem more schemely to you?

Personally I dislike several design choices in sql-de-lite: A client
side statement cache may be convenient in some situations but it
always adds a little overhead and doesn't really belong into a direct
database API binding, but rather into an ORM or other higher level
layer that hides the database details. Allowing the database to be
closed if statements are still active is necessary when a statement
cache is used, but I think it opens a source of hard to find bugs if
included in a low level database access layer like sql-de-lite -- the
application programmer is still responsible that every statement has
finished executing before the database is closed, but will no longer
be notified when she fails to do so. And last but not least I like to
use user defined SQL functions from time to time, which is not
possible with sql-de-lite.

cu,
Thomas