Re: [Chicken-users] Next Chicken release (4.4.0)

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Next Chicken release (4.4.0)
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 07:41:47 -0500

Hi Ivan (Cc Felix)

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 16:57:23 +0900 Ivan Raikov <address@hidden> wrote:

>    The next release of Chicken, 4.4.0, is currently in the process of
> testing and preparation. It will be based on development snapshot 4.3.7,
> available for download here:
>
> http://chicken.wiki.br/dev-snapshots/2010/03/01/chicken-4.3.7.tar.gz
>
> Please download it and test it, and let me know if you encounter any
> problems.

The deprecation of `pointer-offset' breaks at least the following eggs:

 * sendfile (which means spiffy and a bunch of spiffy-* eggs can't be
   installed)

  * objc

I suppose these eggs would need some dirty hack to detect the chicken
version and use either `pointer-offset' or `pointer+'.

Unless there is a clean way to make those eggs work for any chicken-4
version, I propose keeping `pointer-offset' as an alias to `pointer+'
until chicken-5 is out.  Otherwise, I guess will need an ugly hack like
the one we made for `files' a short time ago.

Is there a clean workaround for this?

Best wishes.
Mario