Re: [Chicken-users] getting to grips with multimethods

From: John Cowan
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] getting to grips with multimethods
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 23:48:00 -0400

Martin DeMello scripsit:

> Coming from a traditional single-dispatch OOP background, one of the
> biggest problems I'm finding with coops's CLOS-style multimethods is
> that methods are no longer namespaced by their classes, but leak into
> the current namespace. Thus, when I import a module containing some
> classes, I have to be aware of all the methods and make sure I don't
> have anything clashing with them in the importing code. How do people
> generally deal with this?

By getting used to the idea that generic functions are first-class, and
that classes aren't namespaces.  Modules are namespaces, and you have
to be careful with both the generic functions and the classes within them.

--
Ambassador Trentino: I've said enough. I'm a man of few words.
Rufus T. Firefly: I'm a man of one word: scram!