Re: static linking (Re: [Chicken-users] wish-list

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: static linking (Re: [Chicken-users] wish-list
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 19:09:15 +0200

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 09:02:05AM -0600, Alan Post wrote:
> Not every egg supports linking to the .o file.  For those eggs that
> don't, you'll need to add the support yourself.  If you do, I'm sure
> a patch will be accepted making each egg you work with able to
> statically link.

Yes, but it won't be maintained, except maybe by guessing how changes
in the dynamic build apply to the static build, because nobody really
uses static builds (proven by the lack of eggs that have static options
in the first place).

> Adding support is easy but not automatic.  Usually it will be a few
> extra lines added to the .setup file for each egg.

It would be nice (TM) if building static files could be automatically
done by chicken-install based on the rules for building dynamic libs.
I guess that's just impossible in the general case though.

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://sjamaan.ath.cx