Re: [Chicken-users] wiki pages and h1 title

From: Jim Ursetto
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] wiki pages and h1 title
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 15:36:41 -0500

Hi John,

On Sep 10, 2011, at 11:56 AM, John Gabriele wrote:

> I've noticed that some of the wiki pages have an h2 title at the top,
> some don't. For the ones that have have a table of contents, some have
> an h2 above the toc, some have it below.
>
> I think pages look a bit odd if they have no title at the very top.
>
> Looking at the source for a few pages, I haven't seen any h1 tags anywhere.
>
> The [editing help](https://wiki.call-cc.org/edit-help) page says not
> to use "= title", as h1's are reserved for use by the wiki itself.

> I think it would make sense for every page to have an h1 ("= Page
> Title") at the top, which would not be part of a toc (if present),
> which would be rendered at the top of the page body (above the toc, if
> present), and which would be used to generate the first portion of the
> page's <title>. What do you think?

As Peter mentioned, this is a historical quirk of the original svnwiki which
was preserved in the new code.  What you propose (h1 tag counts for page title
but not in TOC) is probably better behavior overall, but we would first need to
go through and fix all wiki pages and coordinate an upgrade, and educate all
users on the new usage.  However, the position of the TOC is up to the user and
I'm not sure we should override that by automatically promoting the h1 contents
to top of page.

I too dislike h2's dual use as a page title and a section header (in which all
sections are typically nested at h3, giving the TOC one useless indent).  In
the meantime for my own pages I have started using h2 as the page title, placed
perhaps a short description in that section, then put all subsequent sections
under h2 (not h3).  This removes the silly indent, although you still
unfortunately see the section in the TOC.

For an example of this style, see http://wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/4/pathfinder
or http://api.call-cc.org/doc/pathfinder.

Jim