[Chicken-users] All threads are blocking by I/O

From: Pedro Melendez
Subject: [Chicken-users] All threads are blocking by I/O
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 07:40:39 -0400

Hi guys,

Sorry if the question is too basic but this is something that made me spent way more time that I expected.

I am making a tcp server that attempts to be a dedicated game message server. I want to try a design that has a dedicated thread for the input of all input ports of all sockets and another thread for dedicated writing. I am deliberately trying to avoid having a thread for I/O on each socket connection.

After some experimentation I came out to the realization that the reading thread is blocking all other threads. And I actually just found that stated on the TCP Unit documentation:

So, I guess my question is if there is a way to workaround this or I have to combine my code with some C++ code to achieve what I want to do?

I am aware of the mailbox-threads but it seems to me that they are actually are having a thread per connection which is what I was trying to avoid.

Thanks in advance,

Pedro.

--
T: +1 (416) - 357.5356