Re: [Chicken-users] a strange observation

From: Jörg F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] a strange observation
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 23:36:53 +0100

Am 01.12.2013 23:12, schrieb "Jörg F. Wittenberger":
Hi all,

recently I'm stuck in a strange situation. At the moment I can't make head or tail of it. Any hint what I could try very much appreciated!!! The net result: some machines will work for some time and then not-quite-freeze; they will still work somewhat as below.

Has anybody ever seen something like this? (I suppose that what I see here is ultimately a Linux bug, after all no unix-alike system should ever hang like this;

Just found this in the syslog file:

Dec 1 16:41:47 peanut kernel: BUG: scheduling while atomic: askemos.bin/2320/0x00000001

seems to confirm the "linux bug" problem + the connection the the chicken build executable.

So: what on earth could trigger such a bug?

though I'm posting it here since so far I'm afraid I have only ever seen such a hang here and the only suspect program was written in chicken.)

My observations:

The very same code runs on 9 machines. (3 amd64, 6 ARM) Two hang. Always the same two.
Both Tonido plug's, that is ARM on Linux, Debian wheezy.

One of them is new, only a few weeks old. The other one served this process (though running older code obviously) for more that a year with no problem.

It appears that the problem began not earlier that my last update to chicken 4.8.3 at Nov 6th.

"top" reports a load of 6.0; close to no processor load;

The only one process running a chicken built executable has about 70MB memory; this process is not responsive at all (it's supposed serve network requests, connection attempts just hang forever) and CANNOT be killed even by "kill -9";

Worse: a "netstat -l -t -p" happens to hang, I can not kill that netstat either.

So far the only thing I can do seems to be "reboot -f" (to avoid "shutdown" getting stuck in the inability to kill that process either).

Thanks for any hints!

/Jörg