Re: [Chicken-users] CHICKEN 4.9.0rc1 is available

From: Andy Bennett
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] CHICKEN 4.9.0rc1 is available
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 19:34:27 +0100

Hi,

> The Knodium codebase also seems to build and run.
> A few cursory tests suggest that it's OK but I'll stick with it for a
> while and let you know how it goes.

https://www.knodium.com/ is now running with binaries built from CHICKEN
4.9.0rc1

Performance seems similar to that of the 4.7.0 binaries which we were
using previously.

In order to get this deployed we had to fix some things in the
spiffy-cgi-handlers egg relating to changes in versions of the socket
egg newer than 0.2.2. We had been using 0.2.2 previously but the new egg
install fetched in 0.2.5 which creates sockets with non-blocking file
descriptors. FastCGI expects a regular, blocking, file descriptor. I
guess this is something to be aware of in all cases where a file
descriptor is passed from a CHICKEN process to another (i.e. via fork/exec).

We also had to fix the dropbox egg where it calls alist-ref. Some time
after CHICKEN 4.7.0 it became mandatory to pass a well formed alist to
alist-ref but we were relying on it returning the default value.

I've tagged and released new versions of both of these eggs and will be
sending out an announcement for the spiffy-cgi-handlers egg when I'm
sure it's reached all the egg mirrors. As I've (still) not written
documentation for the dropbox egg I won't officially announce it but
people are welcome to try it and I'll do my best to help them with it.

Regards,
@ndy

--
address@hidden