[Chicken-users] Some eggs I'd like to add to svn

From: Matt Welland
Subject: [Chicken-users] Some eggs I'd like to add to svn
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 21:41:49 -0700

Hi,

I have a few small apps which I'd like to add to svn if there are no
objections. Note: I've no idea what to call these things so suggestions for
better names are welcome.

1. refdb. Keep a spreadsheet in a set of flat files which are branch and merge
friendly (e.g. in tools like git and fossil). Formatting is preserved. Data is
labels in the spreadsheet must be unique. Refdb has only been tested with
gnumeric.

2. histstore. Easily capture your commandline history into a sqlite3 database.
This is very handy for those of us working with engineering design tools and
such like where long, complicated command lines are a daily annoyance.

3. mfind. A tool for storing a directory tree in an sqlite3 database for easy
searching. Mostly handy in environments where locate is either not set up or
cannot be set up centrally for security reasons.

4. timesnitch. A strange tool for measuring what you do with your time. It
randomly pops up a dialog where you enter what you were doing and provides a
report of where your time is going based on some simple statistics. The method
is similar to measuring the area of a closed curve on a piece of paper by
randomly dotting the paper, counting the dots inside the curve, dividing by the
total number of dots on the paper and then multiplying by the area of the
paper. Although it can be slightly irritating :) timesnitch is fun to use for a
few days. It is surprisingly accurate and for me at least it has revealed some
interesting insights into how I spend my time, particularly at the office.

5. margs. A *very* simplistic command line argument parser. I have never
acclimatized to the existing arg processors and I use this one a lot. Making it
into an egg is mostly for my personal convenience :)

I think I've mentioned my interest in putting these out as eggs in the past but
I didn't follow though at the time. Refdb and histore are quite popular at work
and I'd like to ensure they are readily available and easy to install.

To set these up I just create and populate the necessary directories in svn and
add entries to egg-locations, correct? I could create fossils for these and
register them but that seems like more hassle than it is worth. Does it matter
to anyone which option I choose, fossil or svn? If I go the fossil route can I
keep multiple eggs in a single fossil?

Lastly, these projects are all a little rough, (I'm an analog design engineer,
not a programmer!) but comments and feedback are greatly appreciated.
--
Matt Welland <address@hidden>