Re: [Chicken-users] About Chicken Compiler CSC's Option

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] About Chicken Compiler CSC's Option
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 12:07:07 +0200

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 05:56:55PM +0800, blueperson wrote:
> Thanks for your help!
> I get a clone use "hg clone
> https://code.google.com/r/datenhobel-hato-egg-update/";. But get the same
> error "csc: invalid option `-G' " when I "make" it. I use chicken
> 4.8.0.3 in gentoo.

Have you tried simply removing the -G option?  I don't know what it
does, and as far as I can tell there never was such an option in the
first place.  I can't explain why this option is in the Makefile though.

Perhaps nobody uses the Makefile at all; there's also a hato.setup file,
which would be used when you simply type "chicken-install" after
switching to the directory.  It is an egg, after all, so perhaps it's
meant to be installed as an egg.

> I'm just a beginner on programming and didn't write much codes. I just
> want to write a MUA first to learn something. For personal reasons I
> choose scheme/chicken, and only found a MTA hato.

Hato isn't really actively maintained AFAIK, so this might not be the
best choice to get started; there may be a few roadblocks like this
you will run into.  An experienced programmer would have few problems
with this, but as a learning project it may be mostly an exercise in
frustration.  Of course, if you decide to do it anyway we're here to
help out, and if you would like some more direct help feel free to drop
by the IRC channel, it's full of friendly people :)

Cheers,
Peter
--
http://www.more-magic.net