Re: [Chicken-users] New egg for astronomical calculations

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] New egg for astronomical calculations
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 09:28:28 +0100

Hi Rob,

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 22:15:11 -0500 Rob Altenburg <address@hidden> wrote:

> This egg contains bindings to the libnova library which is "a general
> purpose, double precision, Celestial Mechanics, Astrometry and
> Astrodynamics library" available under the GNU LPGL.
>
> See: https://github.com/RobAltenburg/ephem
>
> There is no documentation in the wiki yet, but I’ll work on that.
>
> Working on this egg has been a learning process. I’m sure there is
> much room for improvement.
> I started this with a limited use in mind: I wanted to see a map of
> how Pluto has traveled since its discovery.
> That map is here: https://i.redd.it/bx92vo8mey8y.png (The code to draw
> the map was done in scheme too).

Whoa, that's nice.  Thanks for sharing your code.

I faced two problems:

* The URI for the egg tarball in ephem.release info points a resource
  that does not exist.

  I'd suggest using https://github.com/mario-goulart/test-new-egg

  Just install it and run:

      $ test-new-egg
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/RobAltenburg/ephem/master/ephem.release-info

* What's the required libnova version? On my system I have 0.14.0 and
  the egg compilation fails with:

      error: libnova/constellation.h: No such file or directory

  The Debian package for that version doesn't contain that
  constallation.h.

All the best.
Mario
--