cjk-list

Re: [cjk] output with source han and xdvipdfmx

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [cjk] output with source han and xdvipdfmx
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2017 07:17:33 +0200 (CEST)

> - for dvips,following the instructions resulted in the whole of the
>   300+ MB ttc (I was lazy so I got hold of SourceHanNotoCJK.ttc,
>   which is a ttc with 142 faces in it...), and got a 300MB
>   postscript file.

Ouch :-)

> You can't do something like this:
>
>     AdbSH00 AdbSH00 <AdbSH00.enc <SourceHanNotoCJK.ttc
>     AdbSHff AdbSHff AdbSHff.enc <SourceHanNotoCJK.ttc
>
> in the dvips font map file, right?  Must be postscript font for
> dvips to work?  I suppose I could get the postscript version and try
> that too.

AFAIK, yes.  dvips only understands PostScript.  Note that dvips also
understands Type42 fonts (i.e., TTFs wrapped into a PS resource), but
it can't do subsetting for such fonts.  Note also that the Type42
format doesn't support TTCs.

> - When I ran pdflatex, I got this message:
>
> !pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file SourceHanNotoCJK.ttc): can't find table `loca'
>  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>
> does pdflatex really need the loca tables? or is that a bug in
> pdflatex?

Maybe a pdftex bug.  Rudimentary TTC support was added to pdftex some
years ago – it can only read the first subfont.  Note that pdftex no
longer sees further development; it only receives bug fixes.

> I also have a question: what's the syntax for specifying font index
> of a ttc in pdflatex ? I am picking font index 47 and 59 in the ttc
> of the 142 :-).

There is no possibility to do that.

    Werner