cjk-list

[cjk] output with source han and xdvipdfmx (Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re:

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: [cjk] output with source han and xdvipdfmx (Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Installation Cyberbit as PostScript font failed)
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 01:08:41 +0000 (UTC)

I tried adapting "cjk/doc/pdfhowto/HOWTO.txt" to a unicode workflow as I go
along, it is not too bad. I extracted the font around 8pm, had dinner in the
middle, and got it working a bit after mid-night. Here are the result. There
are no missing glyphs.

I only changed one line in the input - {nose} to {ash} - for my naming of adobe
source hans. It does have all the glyphs. These are via xdvipdfmx . Still does
not involve ghostscript, so if you really need psfrag, you are out of luck in
this direction; but otherwise, it is just "latex input.tex ; xdvipdfmx
input.dvi" to get a pdf instead of dvips then ps2pdf , (or dvipdf) . That's not
too different.

As I wrote earlier, this does not involve fontforge, nor generating type1 sub
fonts. dvipdfmx just look up the ttf, subset and embed it. You can see that in
the pdf's property, etc.

The rest are mostly for Werner and general cjk discussion. ------------

A couple of strange things when I tried with dvips and pdftex.

- for dvips,following the instructions resulted in the whole of the 300+ MB ttc
(I was lazy so I got hold of  SourceHanNotoCJK.ttc, which is a ttc with 142
faces in it...), and got a 300MB postscript file. You can't do something like
this:

    AdbSH00 AdbSH00 <AdbSH00.enc <SourceHanNotoCJK.ttc
    AdbSHff AdbSHff AdbSHff.enc <SourceHanNotoCJK.ttc

in the dvips font map file , right? Must be postscript font for dvips to work?
I suppose I could get the postscript version and try that too.

- When I ran pdflatex, I got this message:

!pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file SourceHanNotoCJK.ttc): can't find table `loca'
 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

does pdflatex really need the loca tables? or is that a bug in pdflatex?

I also have a question: what's the syntax for specifying font index of a ttc in
pdflatex ? I am picking font index 47 and 59 in the ttc of the 142 :-).

I could write it up and add a HOWTO-part2.txt ? Life with texlive seems to be a
lot easier since I wrote that thing.