Re: [cks-devl] Sync thoughts (fwd)

From: M. Drew Streib
Subject: Re: [cks-devl] Sync thoughts (fwd)
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 22:25:29 +0000

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 05:18:03PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> Right.  That's what I was proposing without even knowning that pksd
> used it.  VAB, I think that if we consider e-mail syncing only at the
> moment, that it could be done entirely without recording anything in
> the database on a per-key basis.  Key comes in from e-mail, update
> local copy and shove it out to all peers that haven't already seen it,
> noting first that we've seen it.  If the key comes in via web or cksd,
> send out to all peers if anything updated.

Exactly as pksd, which would make me very happy (at least for the
initial release). Good integration into the good system could help
the success of cksd quite a bit.

> Not sure how the pksd HTTP sync would work since AFAIK there is no
> provision for BeenThere in that protocol...

I think the assumption is that since no keyserver syncs via that protocol,
the key is considered new to all servers and thus can be sent out
as described above.

Worst case, a key gets sync'd twice if someone pushes it to more than
one keyserver via hkp. Not a big deal.

-drew

--
M. Drew Streib <address@hidden> | http://dtype.org/