CharSequence support

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: CharSequence support
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 02:00:59 +0200

Hi,

The following patch adds 1.4 CharSequence support to String and StringBuffer.
It also adds one extra method to String and adds an implements Serializable.

2001-07-10  Mark Wielaard <address@hidden>
    * java/lang/CharSequence.java: new 1.4 interface
    * java/lang/String.java: implements Serializable, CharSequence
    (contentEquals StringBuffer): new 1.4 method
    (subSequence): new 1.4 method needed for CharSequence
    * java/lang/StringBuffer.java: implements CharSequence
    (subSequence): new 1.4 method needed for CharSequence

I did not add the new 1.4 split() methods to String. They need
java/util/regexp support. Maybe we can ask Wes Biggs if we may import
part of gnu.regexp to implement it. It is licensed under the LGPL, but
since it seems to be a GNU package we might get it relicensed under
GPL+exception for Classpath/libgcj.

Also not added are the new StringBuffer indexOf and lastIndexOf methods.
We share StringBuffer with libgcj and I couldn't come up with a method
of implementing this both efficiently and transparently since we don't
share the actual String implementation.

Stuff to read:
    <http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html>
  What's Wrong with Copy Protection, by John Gilmore