Re: CharSequence support

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: CharSequence support
Date: 09 Jul 2001 23:21:14 -0400

"Nic Ferrier" <address@hidden> writes:

>    I did not add the new 1.4 split() methods to String.
>    They need java/util/regexp support. Maybe we can
>    ask Wes Biggs if we may import part of gnu.regexp to
>    implement it. It is licensed under the LGPL, but since it
>    seems to be a GNU package we might get it relicensed
>    under GPL+exception for Classpath/libgcj.
>
> I've been thinking about this too.
>
> I looked at Wes' regexp implementation some time ago and it was
> pretty good.
>
> IMHO the best thing to do would be to get Wes to join Classpath to
> make the regexp package part of the overall project. Having a seperate
> regexp package when it's also supplied by the core platform doesn't
> make any sense. Java programmers won't expect that.
>

> BTW I've been doing some socket code updates for GCJ (adding timeout
> support). The problems in GCJ are now fixed (well, there's a patch).
> I'm starting to think about the nio stuff now because it follows
> similar lines to the stuff I've been doing.
>

> I understand that the GCJ code and the Classpath code will need to
> merge at some point. I'd like to help with that by doing a single 1.4
> implementation of .net and the .net parts of .nio.
>
> Hacking CNI is pretty easy compared to JNI, are there any guidelines
> about how to make things portable between GCJ and Classpath?
>
> Do the GCJ people keep their CNI interfaces and link with abstracted
> C modules which are also linked by Classpath's JNI?
>
> Or do you guys just not bother merging the native code?

To date, we haven't tackled it in a big way.  I've started, but I
don't have the details worked out so I'm pecking at the problem as I
have time.  Indeed, once the mechanics are worked out... what is
common, and what is not, and how to compile either; we should be in
good shape.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>