Re: Bug in Double.java

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Bug in Double.java
Date: 23 Jul 2001 14:35:21 -0600

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Blake <address@hidden> writes:

Eric> I also spotted some optimizations to add.  I made the equals,
Eric> compare, and isNaN work without needing to use
Eric> doubleToLongBits(), since a native call carries overhead.

I think we definitely need to implement some kind of preprocessing
step for Classpath and libgcj.  The above reasoning is exactly
backwards for gcj.

Eric> I also updated hashCode to use a cache, to reduce the number of
Eric> native calls made by the same Double.

This one too.  For libgcj this one probably makes things even less
efficient, since it increases the size of a Double.

In this case I guess we can just do as Mark suggests and put stuff
into Configuration.  Then the compiler will remove the unused branch.

I think I'd prefer not to have one big `GCJ' configuration name
though.  For this one, maybe `FAST_NATIVE_CALLS' or `CNI' is what we
should use.  Comments?

Tom