LGPL possible for SHA-1 provider?

From: Harald Albrecht
Subject: LGPL possible for SHA-1 provider?
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:15:45 +0200

Hello classpath developers,

I'm the maintainer of an ONC/RPC package for Java, which is available under the LGPL (acplt.org/ks/remotetea.html). Within the jrpcgen protocol compiler, which is part of this ONC/RPC package, I would like to use the implementation of SHA-1 just to create serialization UIDs for the classes generated by the protocol compiler.

The classpath package provides an implementation of SHA-1 in gnu.java.security.provider.SHA. For the purposes of the jrpcgen protocol compiler I would like to use the SHA class, with special adaption to the protocol compiler, that is, I want to remove general parts that are not necessary in this particular situation. The changed implementation would then be moved to a different package (of course).

The SHA implementation in classpart is provided under the GPL. However, my package is distributed under the terms of the LGPL. I'm not sure whether the additional clause

  As a special exception, if you link this library
  with other files to produce an executable, this
  library does not by itself cause the resulting
  executable to be covered by the GNU General Public
  License

mentioned in the SHA.java source file would allow me to distribute a modified version together with the LGPL'd ONC/RPC package without running into legal (and social) problems (especially regarding jar files containing the class code).

Is it possible to get permission from the classpath developers to distribute a modified SHA.java, probably under the LGPL?

Thank you very much,
  Harald

--
Harald Albrecht