Re: LGPL possible for SHA-1 provider?

From: Harald Albrecht
Subject: Re: LGPL possible for SHA-1 provider?
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:20:16 +0200

Brian, Bryce, (in alphabetical order)

thank you very much for your quick replies about my question concerning classpath's license. I think this cleared things up and I can perfectly live with the SHA class having the GPL+exception license.

Bryce McKinlay wrote:

The SHA class (and most of the rest of classpath) is not GPL!! It uses the
GPL+exception classpath license, which is actually less restrictive than
the LGPL. I believe there should be no problem including it with an LGPL'ed
library, or in fact a non-GPL application, provided that you follow the
terms of the GPL _for the SHA class itself_.

This is perfectly okay, since I once chose LGPL to allow others to use my ONC/RPC package even in proprietary applications, as long as they make the RemoteTea package available (source and classes) to anyone asking them. The reason I chose LGPL was that GPL was way too restrictive and I did not want to "fork" the GPL with exception clauses, probably rendering the whole new license invalid and/or unenforcable.

The exception allows you to
link classpath (ie: include it, in whole or in part) with whatever you like
without the GPL applying to that code as well.

Fine. That's exactly what I need, I just asked to make sure that I can do this.

You can't go and change the license on the SHA class to be LGPL. That would
effectivly be making the license more restrictive (taking away some
rights) for your modified versions of the class.

I misunderstood the exception clause in that sense that it would actually result in a license more restrictive than LGPL. So that's why I asked. My intend was never to "upgrade" form classpath's license to a more restrictive one, taking away rights.

Regards,

  Harald

--
Harald Albrecht