Re: [Classpath] Re: Informative throws

From: Artur Biesiadowski
Subject: Re: [Classpath] Re: Informative throws
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:16:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, C. Scott Ananian wrote:

> > 1) Think about internationalization of error messages.
>
> that's a red herring.  completely independent of eric's proposal.

Yes, but if he is going to change all exception messages in entire
classpath it might be easier to take care of i18n at the same time,
instead of doing it as independent project later.

> > 2) I think that if statement adds some bytecodes. As you end up with path
> > for message exception anyway, you just add something around 10-15 bytes
> > for nothing.
>
> the compiler should optimize these bytecodes away if the ./configure
> option is not given.  so this is not a valid objection either -- unless
> someone can show that the compiler does *not* in fact do this
> optimization?

 Ok, you are right here - it seems that final booleans are inlined. This
seems quite bad for me (as java is suppose to resolve things at runtime
not at compile time), but it is like you say - compiler optimizes out the
dead code at compile time. So proposal is valid as far as technical
reasons are concerned - now it is a question of readibility and maintance.

Artur