Problems with File.java when running Jigsaw with ORP plus Classpa th

From: Wu, Gansha
Subject: Problems with File.java when running Jigsaw with ORP plus Classpa th
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 10:17:52 +0800

We have modified GNU Classpath at some places so that ORP with Classpath can
run Jigsaw webserver plus Tomcat/GnuJSP JSP engine. Here we submit them for
discussion. This is the first of the series.

Problems in java/io/File.java:
    a. getAbsolutePath() hasn't counted in windows-style path name (e.g.
c:\dir\dir), so "if (path.startsWith(separator))..." will always return false
when these path names are specified in "path" field. An extra "if" to check
this could solve the problem in a somewhat ad hoc style, a more elegant way
should involve  a design modification, I mean, it's better to delegate these
platform-dependent judgements to a standalone platform-wise class.

    b. renameTo(): In Classpath's implementation:
                boolean rc = renameToInternal(path, dest.getPath());
                if (rc)
                    path = dest.getPath();
set "path" to new path is semantically different from Java library
documentation. According to that, after renameTo() is called on File object,
the "path" field won't be changed. What it does is to validate "dest", and
invalidate this object (if rename operation succeeds).
         Current Classpath implementation makes Jigsaw fail in management of
configuration files.
         So an apparent patch is:
                boolean rc = renameToInternal(path, dest.getPath());
        -       if (rc)
        -            path = dest.getPath();

    c. I wonder why Classpath comments out the snippet in list() that exerts
FilenameFilter on the listInternal result. At least for Jigsaw it works well
when I remove the comment tags.