Re: State of AWT?

From: jewel
Subject: Re: State of AWT?
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 17:41:14 +0000 (GMT)

>Tom Tromey (address@hidden) wrote:
>> However, I'd prefer not to do too much damage to the Classpath AWT
>> during the merge.  Is it possible to run the Classpath AWT?  If so,
>> how?  Also, is there a list of known bugs?  I looked around a little
>> but didn't see a test suite.
>
>There are two main components: the GTK+ peers and the main 1.1 AWT.  The
>peers were written by Paul Fisher and where orginally designed to work
>under the JDK, so I believe he was at least able to test that they
>basically worked.  The main java.awt.* classes were mostly written by
>me.  I banged them in as fast as I could and only debugged them to the
>point on compilation.  I've actually never gotten more than blank
>frame to appear on the screen.  Some others have gotten a bit further.
>Regardless, this code is very raw.  I suspended work on it because of
>the merger and licensing issues.  Now would be a very good time for
>people to pick things back up.

I was probably the last person to work with the Classpath AWT code. I got it
working with the GTK peers to the point where I could display a frame and saw
events passing through the java code.

I got stuck with the code that handled peers. I can't remember specifics now,
but basically it covered the order in which addNotify and similar methods are
called. There were issues with inheritance.

I think what is needed is quick review of how the peer system is meant to work,
and from there things should flow easily.

John Leuner

This message was sent using M-Web Airmail.
http://airmail.mweb.co.za/