Re: org.omg

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: org.omg
Date: 06 Oct 2002 10:20:57 -0400

Sascha Brawer <address@hidden> writes:

> However, we'd need to do a lot more for this to become useful. Maybe this
> is obvious to everyone on the list, but in case it isn't, let me outline
> what would be needed for CORBA support:
>
> 1. Use an IDL-to-Java compiler tool (like Sun's idlj) to generate
> Java code for standard IDL files provided by the OMG. For example,
> package org.omg.IOP is derived from IDL, and not directly available
> at ftp.omg.org/pub/ javartf/.
>
>    Having done this, we'd have roughly the same as is documented on
> the Javadoc pages for Sun's J2SE 1.4.  AFAIK, this should be enough
> to run an ORB on a Classpath-based JRE.

That would be good.

> 2. Provide an actual implementation for all those interfaces and
> abstract classes.

I didn't think the JDK actually provided an ORB.  To my knowledge
everyone goes to a vendor for an ORB implementation.  My lack of
actually using CORBA from Java is showing here.

> 3. Write a GNU version of an IDL-to-Java compiler (i.e., a replacement
> for idlj).

More tools always welcome in the classpath-tools subproject.

> (1) without (2) is somewhat useful: users could run CORBA applications if
> they license an ORB from someone. Also, (1) is a prerequisite for
> supporting CORBA in Classpath.  But the big amount of work is (2).
>
> By the way, could we legally use Sun's idlj for (1), or do we have to do
> (3) first?

Yes, you can use idlj or javah as needed.
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>