Re: org.omg

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: org.omg
Date: 06 Oct 2002 10:27:49 -0400

Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 2002-10-06 at 06:49, Brian Jones wrote:
> > Sun includes a number of classes from the org.omg package that appear
> > to be freely available (but lacking the javadoc) from
> > ftp.omg.org/pub/javartf/.  The license is as below.
> >
> > Copyright (c) 1999 Object Management Group. Unlimited rights to
> > duplicate and use this code are hereby granted provided that this
> > copyright notice is included.
>
> Note that this does not give explicit permission to make and distribute
> changes (like fixing bugs, adding javadoc, removing unneeded classes,
> etc). Or is the is above legal language to say just that?

You are correct, perhaps it would would be best just to duplicate
these ourselves.  No rights appear to be granted for modify or
distribute unless duplicate is construed to mean copy and distribute.

> > This is essentially the same as the license on the code in w_log.c for
> > example.  Should we go ahead and import the appropriate pieces of code
> > from OMG?
>
> I would only import it if needed to implements some of the other core
> classes or if you are intending to work on them, for example to add the
> documentation. If not, then I would just add a link to the documentation
> explaining where to find these (and probably other) standard classes
> that we don't distribute.

As most of these are just interfaces or abstract classes that do very
little if anything... it was just an idea to save someone some time in
stubbing these out later.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>