Re: JamaicaVM and GNU Classpath

From: Andy Walter
Subject: Re: JamaicaVM and GNU Classpath
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:18:07 +0200

Hi Chris,

On Thursday 24 October 2002 09:01, Chris Gray wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Andy Walter wrote:
> > * One thing that shouldn't be unmentioned: Unlike the rest of our current
> > standard classes, the AWT implementation is not completely written by
> > ourselves, but based on Acunia's Wonka/Rudolph.
>
> Which reminds me: we are happy to make Rudolph available under the
> Classpath licence (GPL+exception) as well as the current BSD licence if
> this would help anybody.

That might help indeed. We always found somewhat guilty because you had no use
for our changes to Rudolph, while the Rudolph sources were really helpful to
us. The reason is that our VMs differ so much. We prefer Java code to C
because of portability reasons and performance (while JNI calls are
expensive, we can compile the Java code).

Therefore, our current implementation only uses 5 native methods. We also
support some frame buffer devices directly (no X needed). If this is useful
for somebody else, we probably can give that to Classpath as well (provided
that Acunia offers the Classpath license, of course). I can make no promises
here, because we have to discuss this first, but personally I see no
problems.

I've seen that the Classpath AWT implementation uses peers. This has
advantages on some targets, but is not very helpful on targets without any
Window System at all. I personally like the idea of having two different AWT
implementations (at aicas we were already discussing that matter), according
to the target system. What about the other Classpath developers? Do you thank
that including two AWT implementations is good or do you prefer having a
single implementation that should fit for everybody?

Kind regards,

        Andy.

--
aicas GmbH * Hoepfner Burg                       /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Haid-und-Neu-Straße 18 * 76131 Karlsruhe         \ /  No HTML or RTF in mail