Re: [Jikesrvm-core] Re: Updates to GNU Classpath port of JRVM

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: [Jikesrvm-core] Re: Updates to GNU Classpath port of JRVM
Date: 26 Oct 2002 13:34:29 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 20:28, Michael Hind wrote:

> > Would you mind submitting these changes to GNU Classpath? (Brian can
> > probably help with any copyright assignment or licensing issues.) Or
> > describe the changes that you needed to make? Are they online somewhere?
>
>       Brian and I have been discussing this mostly on the
> jikesrvm-researchers list.  (You may want to check the thread in the
> archive.)

Thanks. I found most of how you use Classpath in your CVS tree.

> We very much want to contribution the changes.  We are about to get IBM's
> approval to do this.  Brian recently mentioned the FSF licensing statement
> requirement.   I'll have to get our legal folks involved again to deal with
> the issues.

OK. I will wait patiently :)

I am mainly interested in what was good/bad about our current VM
integration interface and what VM specific changes you had to make to
Classpath proper. If at all possible I want to try to have as small
number of forks of the Classpath code to make sure that when we release
a new Classpath version VMs can just pick it up and plug it into the VM.
(Note that we are a long way from that ideal - and might never
completely reach it - and that till we reach a 1.0 version the VM
interface will probably keep changing a little bit between releases.)