Re: Want to help in integrating swing.

From: Ronald Veldema
Subject: Re: Want to help in integrating swing.
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 19:56:43 +0100

When I played around with it, it was using kaffe's awt and my
own Javacompiler.
Luckily enough, I've added few comments in the code to
make it more readable ! It's fairly clean though and yes
there are no native calls in there. Simply taking the
javax.swing dir and using another awt/jvm should be easy.
R.

Linuxhippy wrote:

Hi Ronald!

Thanks for answering me!

 > Hi Clemens,
 >    I did the initial implementation and others patched it up a bit
 > since then.
 > I was able to get a window with some buttons in them working.
 > However, they do not look like the real deal and other components
 > don't work at all yet.

Hmm, sounds great! Does that mean that theres a basis on which somebody
can work on?
It doesnt matter how functional it is now, only if it is clean and
extendable.

 > In short what is missing is:
 >    - basic and metal PLAF's (these can be copied from others perhaps.
 >    there are some fairly complete PLAF implementations on they web,
 >    GPL-ed with a little luck as well)
 >    - editor support (JText*, JEdit*)
 >    - JList needs to be brought up.
 >    - etc.
> I stopped at some point because the awt implementation wasn't up to it.

Hmmm, I thought about that.
I dont want to like playing around with making AWT better, >I'm not a
good coder, and that lowlevel-stuff is not enough funny for me...
I hope very much that in near future more people will work on
awt-support in gcj, it is really bad at now.
How good is AWT now? Are there still some essential parts missing?
Would it be better to use JDK1.1.8 and extend it. But that would maybe
make it incompatible with classpath...

Thanks for answering my question!