RE: extended peers

From: Stephane Meslin-Weber
Subject: RE: extended peers
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:16:04 +0100

That property still exists, it's "awt.toolkit" and I use it for fbAWT
and qteAWT... Note that PJA also uses it.

I'm also all for extended peers, fbAWT currently uses the font renderer
from PJA (bitmapped fonts) and I was planning on making the font engine
pluggable (perhaps using the www.fonteditor.org TTF renderer).

So we have, conceptually:

(Toolkit.java)
public Toolkit getDefaultToolkit()
{
        theToolkit =
Class.forName(System.getProperty("awt.toolkit","some.default.toolkit"));
        return theToolkit;
}

One of the hurdles I've come across when using the property under the
J2ME RI from Sun is that 'they' did something quite nasty:

public Toolkit getDefaultToolkit()
{
        theToolkit =
(sun.something.Toolkit)Class.forName(System.getProperty("awt.toolkit","s
ome.default.toolkit"));
        return theToolkit;
}

Notice the difference? Using the bootclasspath can get around this issue
but it add maintenance headaches... I suppose that if Classpath's AWT
can be used standalone I could just scrap Sun's whole implementation :)

Steph.