Re: Kissme and Classpath CVS

From: Stephen Crawley
Subject: Re: Kissme and Classpath CVS
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:06:16 +1000

> A few weeks ago, I wrote:
>
> The Kissme in CVS and in the Kissme 0.0.31 release are currently
> incompatible with the latest Classpath in CVS ...
>
> Compatibility should be restored in a day or so ...

Last night I fixed the last major bug and checked in a large number of
changes to Kissme.  I believe that compatibility between the CVS
versions of Kissme and Classpath should now be restored.  If you have
problems, please email the kissme-general list.

In the process of doing the Thread / VMThread refactoring, I uncovered
and fixed a number of pre-existing bugs in Kissme's locking code.  For
example:

  *  The exception handling code was not releasing locks when unwinding
     the stack past a call to a synchronized method.

  *  The code that inflated thin locks to fat locks was broken.

  *  The code for locking and unlocking fat locks didn't always inc/dec
     the recursion count correctly.

  *  The code for releasing/regaining a lock in a 'wait' didn't work
     if the lock was a fat lock.

Fixing these bugs may go some way to curing the unexplained lockups
I was seeing previously.  But I've also noticed some other inefficiencies
and potential memory leaks that need fixing.  And I need to write some
'hitme' tests that will exercise the locking more thoroughly.

I'm sorry this took so long, but it was a much bigger job than I thought.

-- Steve