Re: Free Java, the sequel

From: Chris Gray
Subject: Re: Free Java, the sequel
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 11:01:56 +0100

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 16:23, Patrik Reali wrote:
> Although I'm pretty sure that everybody already read the articles, here's
> the sequel of the free java story from slashdot:
>
> 26 Feb: IBM Offers to Help Sun Open Up Java:
> <http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/02/26/1532254&mode=thread>
>
> 27 Feb: Sun Agrees to Talk to IBM over Open Sourcing Java:
> <http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/02/27/1610245&mode=thread

This is bizarre.  IBM already has an open source version of Java (JikesVM),
but perhaps Rod Smith is not aware of that.

If they want Sun to open up the Java testing and certification process to
free and open source VMs then they should say so.  Instead they seem to be
talking of starting a new initiative, apparently oblivious to all existing
efforts.  It's as if Sun or someone would choose this moment to challenge
AT&T to open up the source code of Unix.

Maybe we should write an open letter to the open letter writers?

Confused,

--
Chris Gray                                  /k/ Embedded Java Solutions
Embedded & Mobile Java, OSGi              http://www.kiffer.be/k/